Skip to main content

"Art Crimes" Part 5 - Used and Unused Graffiti art for my Zombie High School Map

 Okay, so this one may be needing some context. I've been a long time fan of the Killing Floor games (though not being too fond of tripwire, the developers) and I've made maps for two of them. My first map for Killing Floor 2 is a map called Zombie High School, and while making it, one thing I wanted to do was give it a good amount of custom textures to make it unique and fun to look at. However, for whatever reason, Killing Floor 2's SDK likes to bloat a map file's size to absurd amounts every time you add a custom texture, so I had to be really picky and left a lot out. I kept the unused ones in a folder, so I thought it would be fun to show the ones I did and didn't use. Most I recreated on top of existing textures in the game's objects, and with others I used the original actual texture.

 

Adding various bits of graffiti and vandalism around the map were an important part of the map atmosphere for me because in addition to this being a post-apocalyptic horror environment, it was also an environment in which a lot teenagers have been, and teenagers can be downright nasty. I wanted to show examples of the cruel antagonism of young folks, so there are things like bomb threats scrawled on some surfaces. In other places, I wanted to show anti-authority rebellion, so there's examples of Satanic graffiti as well (one of my issues with tripwire interactive is their decision to put a bunch of christian metal into the game, so this was one of my ways of pushing back against both the creepy christian conservatives in the company and sadly, in the player base as well).

A shot of the map itself.  


                                        

                                          Here are some of the graffiti images I considered, but 

skipped over to cut down on file size bloating. I also

tried to make as many of my own art assets as I could 

(same reason I eventually replaced some posters in

the map with ones I made myself) so I ended

up making a lot of the locker and desk graffiti

 myself.




source


source



 Here's the one of these I did end up including, 

because I wanted to at-least have 1 bit of custom

       graffiti on the lockers in the map. 

source



Here's some desk graffiti photos I gathered for 

inspiration for desk graffiti I added into the map.




source

                                         

Lastly here are some more images I gathered as 

inspiration for the locker graffiti I made.


Matthieu Mouthon's Lambster High series of renders


Liam Vorpahl's Vandalised Hallway renders



Context is certainly important for this one! Do fucking mature with age, but

don't subscribe to the idiotic idea that being an adult means abandoning all of 

the silly, harmless things that brought you joy as a child.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grim Fandango Remastered (PC) Review

Grim Fandango is a wonderfully charming point and click adventure game with a unique style. It's based on Mexican/Central American mythology as well as the film nior genre. There are many fun characters to meet and lots of great comedy. They give you multiple options for control - you can either use the classic point and click controls, or you can move Manny around manually in Resident Evil/"tank" style controls (which I found handy at times to use). It can be confusing to figure out puzzle solutions, but there are plenty of guides available online if you get stuck. I don't want to give anything of the story away so I suggest trying the game for yourself! Overall the game is fantastic, but I have a few small criticisms: The game does occasionally have graphical bugs, but I did not encounter any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.  Most of them were actually very comical to encounter, such as Mannys head disappearing or affixing a lever to Glottis...

Dead Space (Xbox 360) Review

  Dead Space is a survival horror game set in - you guessed it - space! Specifically, the USG Ishimura. You'll follow protagonist Isaac Clarke as what started as a an attempt to fix up a spacecraft turns into an wonderful example of "everything that can go wrong definitely will". The story takes several twists and turns and you'll even get to venture beyond the game's central location a few times! As usual, I won't go too deep into the story because I'd like you to be able to experience it for yourself if you've never played the game! I quite it enjoyed it though, and the game created a good sense of isolated fear while also making me concerned for the safety of Isaac's few surviving crew-mates throughout the game. The combat is very intense as most of the creatures you'll encounter move in a very violent and erratic manners, and you'll want to target their weak points - usually the limbs. Thankfully, the game has a cool upgra...

Blood: One Unit Whole Blood (PC) Game Review

Blood is a first-person-shooter from what I like to call the "pixel era" of FPS games from the 90s. Outside of the DOS games I played as a small child, I didn't get really into PC games until college, and that was around 2005, so I missed out on a lot of 90s PC titles such as Blood. My frame of reference for pixel era 90s shooters is of course Doom, as I was able to get a hold of the Playstation port of the game as a teen in High School and had a blast playing it. One of the things that immediately impressed me with Blood was it's improvements over the feel of Doom. Using an engine refereed to as "build"  it featured the ability to look up and down, the ability to jump, and destructible walls in certain areas. Design-wise it also made much more use of ambient sound than Doom, and the levels are detailed and varied enough that it was very rare to get lost unlike Doom which suffered at times from samey environments that the player could easily be...