Skip to main content

Starbound (PC) Game Review

 


(Copied from my 2019 Steam review for the game)




Starbound is one of my favorite games ever! It ran kinda badly on my old laptop but I still manage to have a good deal of fun (It runs great on my current gaming laptop). I haven't beaten the full story campaign yet but I just love exploring and building, and the modding community is fantastic. The graphics are gorgeous, the characters are adorable, the combat is pretty fun. The music is very atmospheric and lovely. The base game has a ton of content and stuff to do, and when you add mods, it just gets bigger and better!



But, as always, I recommend getting games DRM-free, so I recommend picking this one up from the humble games store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grim Fandango Remastered (PC) Review

Grim Fandango is a wonderfully charming point and click adventure game with a unique style. It's based on Mexican/Central American mythology as well as the film nior genre. There are many fun characters to meet and lots of great comedy. They give you multiple options for control - you can either use the classic point and click controls, or you can move Manny around manually in Resident Evil/"tank" style controls (which I found handy at times to use). It can be confusing to figure out puzzle solutions, but there are plenty of guides available online if you get stuck. I don't want to give anything of the story away so I suggest trying the game for yourself! Overall the game is fantastic, but I have a few small criticisms: The game does occasionally have graphical bugs, but I did not encounter any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.  Most of them were actually very comical to encounter, such as Mannys head disappearing or affixing a lever to Glottis...

Dead Space (Xbox 360) Review

  Dead Space is a survival horror game set in - you guessed it - space! Specifically, the USG Ishimura. You'll follow protagonist Isaac Clarke as what started as a an attempt to fix up a spacecraft turns into an wonderful example of "everything that can go wrong definitely will". The story takes several twists and turns and you'll even get to venture beyond the game's central location a few times! As usual, I won't go too deep into the story because I'd like you to be able to experience it for yourself if you've never played the game! I quite it enjoyed it though, and the game created a good sense of isolated fear while also making me concerned for the safety of Isaac's few surviving crew-mates throughout the game. The combat is very intense as most of the creatures you'll encounter move in a very violent and erratic manners, and you'll want to target their weak points - usually the limbs. Thankfully, the game has a cool upgra...

Blood: One Unit Whole Blood (PC) Game Review

Blood is a first-person-shooter from what I like to call the "pixel era" of FPS games from the 90s. Outside of the DOS games I played as a small child, I didn't get really into PC games until college, and that was around 2005, so I missed out on a lot of 90s PC titles such as Blood. My frame of reference for pixel era 90s shooters is of course Doom, as I was able to get a hold of the Playstation port of the game as a teen in High School and had a blast playing it. One of the things that immediately impressed me with Blood was it's improvements over the feel of Doom. Using an engine refereed to as "build"  it featured the ability to look up and down, the ability to jump, and destructible walls in certain areas. Design-wise it also made much more use of ambient sound than Doom, and the levels are detailed and varied enough that it was very rare to get lost unlike Doom which suffered at times from samey environments that the player could easily be...