Skip to main content

S.TA.L.K.E.R. Shadow Of Chernobyl (PC) Game Review

 (Note: this was one of my much earlier game reviews, so it doesn't go quite as in-depth as my newer ones. Still, I wanted to include it here)




  It’s a very solid semi-open world survival/adventure/fps game. Great soundtrack, lots of weapons to choose from, and a good variety of game mechanics kept me invested through the story. Quests, inventory management, challenging combat,  choosing which artifacts would help me get through tricky spots, etc. It’s a nice blend of a reality-grounded world and a dark sci-fi universe with strange anomalies and creepy mutants. I enjoyed meeting all the different factions and the replay value that is offered by the different ways to can react to them. Lastly, I’m quite fond of abandoned buildings/urban exploration so that’s a personal plus for me, as is the foreign setting of Ukraine. I liked how the game had a combination of both English and Russian language, making the characters feel more real and diverse.



There are some bugs/problems I encountered, which I should point out. A few times the game did crash on me, but I was able to remedy these by rolling back to a previous save file and either going around the area that crashed me or running through it quickly. Also, there were a couple times that npcs trapped me in a room or object and wouldn’t move. Atleast one quest is bugged in that it points you to find an item that is no longer in it’s claimed location. Other than that, the game ran smoothly for me. Also, I should point out, the game has plentiful mods available, and while I have not yet tried any myself, I’ve read that they can help with these bugs, as well as adding even more content to the game!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grim Fandango Remastered (PC) Review

Grim Fandango is a wonderfully charming point and click adventure game with a unique style. It's based on Mexican/Central American mythology as well as the film nior genre. There are many fun characters to meet and lots of great comedy. They give you multiple options for control - you can either use the classic point and click controls, or you can move Manny around manually in Resident Evil/"tank" style controls (which I found handy at times to use). It can be confusing to figure out puzzle solutions, but there are plenty of guides available online if you get stuck. I don't want to give anything of the story away so I suggest trying the game for yourself! Overall the game is fantastic, but I have a few small criticisms: The game does occasionally have graphical bugs, but I did not encounter any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.  Most of them were actually very comical to encounter, such as Mannys head disappearing or affixing a lever to Glottis...

Dead Space (Xbox 360) Review

  Dead Space is a survival horror game set in - you guessed it - space! Specifically, the USG Ishimura. You'll follow protagonist Isaac Clarke as what started as a an attempt to fix up a spacecraft turns into an wonderful example of "everything that can go wrong definitely will". The story takes several twists and turns and you'll even get to venture beyond the game's central location a few times! As usual, I won't go too deep into the story because I'd like you to be able to experience it for yourself if you've never played the game! I quite it enjoyed it though, and the game created a good sense of isolated fear while also making me concerned for the safety of Isaac's few surviving crew-mates throughout the game. The combat is very intense as most of the creatures you'll encounter move in a very violent and erratic manners, and you'll want to target their weak points - usually the limbs. Thankfully, the game has a cool upgra...

Blood: One Unit Whole Blood (PC) Game Review

Blood is a first-person-shooter from what I like to call the "pixel era" of FPS games from the 90s. Outside of the DOS games I played as a small child, I didn't get really into PC games until college, and that was around 2005, so I missed out on a lot of 90s PC titles such as Blood. My frame of reference for pixel era 90s shooters is of course Doom, as I was able to get a hold of the Playstation port of the game as a teen in High School and had a blast playing it. One of the things that immediately impressed me with Blood was it's improvements over the feel of Doom. Using an engine refereed to as "build"  it featured the ability to look up and down, the ability to jump, and destructible walls in certain areas. Design-wise it also made much more use of ambient sound than Doom, and the levels are detailed and varied enough that it was very rare to get lost unlike Doom which suffered at times from samey environments that the player could easily be...