Skip to main content

Spear Of Destiny (PC) Game Review



Much like Doom 2 is to Doom, this isn’t much more than a new mission pack for Wolfenstein 3D. But that certainly isn’t a bad thing - it just doesn’t give me as much to talk about as in my other reviews. It’s quite challenging on higher difficulties, the graphics are nice, and there’s plenty of nazi scum to turn into hamburger meat with your guns - including some cool new bosses! There’s also some new textures and graphics in use for this one, so they did put forth the effort to add some new visual flair to the game.



One annoying change from Wolfenstein 3D (The Xbox One version, atleast) is that now when you rub against any wall while moving around, it makes a strange noise, which I found to be a rather irritating design choice. I like to listen to music while playing these games, and it especially helps in this case to drown out that strange sound effect.



Another interesting addition is that the themes of supernatural horror from the first game get amped up in this one - I won’t spoil how, but it was quite a cool surprise for me at the end of the game!



Lastly, this is an older game and you thankfully won’t have to worry about any sleazy DRM software, even if you’re playing it on steam (which is good as physical copies of the game can be somewhat pricey). When playing on a modern computer, I recommend getting the source port “ecwolf” to help bring the game up to more modern standards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grim Fandango Remastered (PC) Review

Grim Fandango is a wonderfully charming point and click adventure game with a unique style. It's based on Mexican/Central American mythology as well as the film nior genre. There are many fun characters to meet and lots of great comedy. They give you multiple options for control - you can either use the classic point and click controls, or you can move Manny around manually in Resident Evil/"tank" style controls (which I found handy at times to use). It can be confusing to figure out puzzle solutions, but there are plenty of guides available online if you get stuck. I don't want to give anything of the story away so I suggest trying the game for yourself! Overall the game is fantastic, but I have a few small criticisms: The game does occasionally have graphical bugs, but I did not encounter any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.  Most of them were actually very comical to encounter, such as Mannys head disappearing or affixing a lever to Glottis...

Dead Space (Xbox 360) Review

  Dead Space is a survival horror game set in - you guessed it - space! Specifically, the USG Ishimura. You'll follow protagonist Isaac Clarke as what started as a an attempt to fix up a spacecraft turns into an wonderful example of "everything that can go wrong definitely will". The story takes several twists and turns and you'll even get to venture beyond the game's central location a few times! As usual, I won't go too deep into the story because I'd like you to be able to experience it for yourself if you've never played the game! I quite it enjoyed it though, and the game created a good sense of isolated fear while also making me concerned for the safety of Isaac's few surviving crew-mates throughout the game. The combat is very intense as most of the creatures you'll encounter move in a very violent and erratic manners, and you'll want to target their weak points - usually the limbs. Thankfully, the game has a cool upgra...

Blood: One Unit Whole Blood (PC) Game Review

Blood is a first-person-shooter from what I like to call the "pixel era" of FPS games from the 90s. Outside of the DOS games I played as a small child, I didn't get really into PC games until college, and that was around 2005, so I missed out on a lot of 90s PC titles such as Blood. My frame of reference for pixel era 90s shooters is of course Doom, as I was able to get a hold of the Playstation port of the game as a teen in High School and had a blast playing it. One of the things that immediately impressed me with Blood was it's improvements over the feel of Doom. Using an engine refereed to as "build"  it featured the ability to look up and down, the ability to jump, and destructible walls in certain areas. Design-wise it also made much more use of ambient sound than Doom, and the levels are detailed and varied enough that it was very rare to get lost unlike Doom which suffered at times from samey environments that the player could easily be...