Skip to main content

Shadowgate (Xbox One / NES ) Review

ShadowGate is a classic point and click adventure game from the 8-bit NES days (A port of the original Macinotsh game). In it, you take control of a "hero king" and enter castle ShadowGate with the intention of defeating the Warlock Lord. Like many point and click games, it uses an inventory menu and an action menu to allow you to interact with your environments. I quite enjoyed the dark fantasy setting and the satisfying "Aha!" moments of every puzzle I managed to solve. 


The atmosphere of the game is very nicely done. Part of the game-play reward for me was to get to each new room and see all the scenery and the occasional creature. I also really enjoyed the music, and finding all of the strange and gory ways in which you could kill off your character. 


 That being said, this game is definitely a hard one - I admit I couldn't figure every puzzle out on my own and ended up using a strategy guide to help me several times.  I find it somewhat disappointing whenever I feel like I need to look up a guide because that takes me out of the immersion of a game, but it is at-least nice to know there's other video game nerds who are kind enough to share their knowledge on the tough or confusing games that they've managed to complete.


The game contains a mechanic in which you must continuously keep your torch lit by finding new ones to pass your flame along to. Take too long, and the torch goes out, leaving you shrouded in darkness and soon after having you die. I didn't care too much for this mechanic, as a good chunk of the game-play stems from observing your surroundings and thinking, and thinking under stress  tends to rattle the mind and disrupt focus. Still, I can appreciate the designers wanted to try something new, and it does add to the spooky and tense feel of the game. I could see the torch gimmick working better in a full-blown horror title, perhaps.


Lastly, there is some social criticism to be made - stuff I will continue to address in my reviews because a lot of gamers, sadly, are entitled (and often bigoted) children who want to silence and shut down conversations about things like sexism in video games. While it is good that the protagonist wants to stop the warlock dude from being a big asshole and destroying the world, he's also kind of a creeper. At one point in the game you'll encounter what appears to be a woman chained up in the tower and the protagonists' mind goes right to gushing over how pretty she is. I found this rather creepy as I imagine - what if I was a hostage in a bank robbery, and one of the people they sent in to rescue me starting lusting over my body rather helping get me to safety? Pretty creepy.  More troubling is the ending, where your character is "rewarded" by being given another kings daughter as his bride, reinforcing the old trope of a woman being a "trophy prize" for men and not having any agency of their own. These are unfortunate aspects of the game's story-line, because the protagonist seems to be an otherwise good and noble individual.


Overall, I would recommend ShadowGate. It is a tough and sometimes confusing game, but I think many would have a good time visiting the many cool environments of the castle and exploring all the little things you can do with the items - not to mention goofing off and seeing how many ways you can off yourself in the game! The version I played was part of a game bundle on the Xbox One, which I imagine would be easier to get than the original NES cartridge. Plus, it comes with two other games, as well!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grim Fandango Remastered (PC) Review

Grim Fandango is a wonderfully charming point and click adventure game with a unique style. It's based on Mexican/Central American mythology as well as the film nior genre. There are many fun characters to meet and lots of great comedy. They give you multiple options for control - you can either use the classic point and click controls, or you can move Manny around manually in Resident Evil/"tank" style controls (which I found handy at times to use). It can be confusing to figure out puzzle solutions, but there are plenty of guides available online if you get stuck. I don't want to give anything of the story away so I suggest trying the game for yourself! Overall the game is fantastic, but I have a few small criticisms: The game does occasionally have graphical bugs, but I did not encounter any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.  Most of them were actually very comical to encounter, such as Mannys head disappearing or affixing a lever to Glottis...

Dead Space (Xbox 360) Review

  Dead Space is a survival horror game set in - you guessed it - space! Specifically, the USG Ishimura. You'll follow protagonist Isaac Clarke as what started as a an attempt to fix up a spacecraft turns into an wonderful example of "everything that can go wrong definitely will". The story takes several twists and turns and you'll even get to venture beyond the game's central location a few times! As usual, I won't go too deep into the story because I'd like you to be able to experience it for yourself if you've never played the game! I quite it enjoyed it though, and the game created a good sense of isolated fear while also making me concerned for the safety of Isaac's few surviving crew-mates throughout the game. The combat is very intense as most of the creatures you'll encounter move in a very violent and erratic manners, and you'll want to target their weak points - usually the limbs. Thankfully, the game has a cool upgra...

Blood: One Unit Whole Blood (PC) Game Review

Blood is a first-person-shooter from what I like to call the "pixel era" of FPS games from the 90s. Outside of the DOS games I played as a small child, I didn't get really into PC games until college, and that was around 2005, so I missed out on a lot of 90s PC titles such as Blood. My frame of reference for pixel era 90s shooters is of course Doom, as I was able to get a hold of the Playstation port of the game as a teen in High School and had a blast playing it. One of the things that immediately impressed me with Blood was it's improvements over the feel of Doom. Using an engine refereed to as "build"  it featured the ability to look up and down, the ability to jump, and destructible walls in certain areas. Design-wise it also made much more use of ambient sound than Doom, and the levels are detailed and varied enough that it was very rare to get lost unlike Doom which suffered at times from samey environments that the player could easily be...