Skip to main content

SCP 087 (PC) Game Review

 

(warning: this review will contain some minor spoilers for the game experience)

SCP 087 is a small free horror game  where you simply walk down a long stairwell to see what will happen. It looks quite nice and the sound design is great, but what’s best of all is that the game is randomized, meaning different things are said to happen each time you play. On my play-though I encountered a few very interesting sounds as wind and breathing.  I also occasionally saw a few strange shadows pass over me. Eventually, I saw what looked like  long fingers come down in front of me from out of the darkness and the game ended, so I’m assuming this was one of the game’s possible death scenarios.

If you’re looking for action, it’s probably not the game for you. Walking down an endless flight of stairs doesn’t make for interesting *game-play* per se, but if you’re like me and love interactive software that is build on suspense, atmosphere and exploration, you’ll probably really enjoy watching and listening for any strange anomalies as you traverse these creepy old stairs.

I have very little criticism for this software except that it’s a little buggy and I had one small criticism about its design. When I played, I couldn’t get my mouse pointer off the screen even after fiddling with the settings. I was worried this would hurt my immersion, but thankfully the game’s atmosphere is rich enough that I eventually barely noticed.  Also, I’m unsure if this was a bug or something intentional, but occasionally when i would get past a flight of stairs the camera would suddenly jerk from where I was looking to a different position, which was kinda jarring. Lastly, my one criticisms of the design is that if you hit the Escape key to pause like you would with most games, it simply closes the game out. I can see the appeal for this in a horror game because a pause menu could be seen as an interruption the atmosphere - but I also feel that when this is in a game, it should come with a sort of warning. Considering that the staircase you must traverse is described as being endless, it would suck to try to pause the game because you had to pee or someone wanted to talk to you only to end up resetting the game and having to start over all the way from the top.

My few criticisms aside, this a great little horror adventure that you can download for free in the attached youtube link! If you like a good spooky-time, give it a try!

https://youtu.be/uiHQN1q8ln4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grim Fandango Remastered (PC) Review

Grim Fandango is a wonderfully charming point and click adventure game with a unique style. It's based on Mexican/Central American mythology as well as the film nior genre. There are many fun characters to meet and lots of great comedy. They give you multiple options for control - you can either use the classic point and click controls, or you can move Manny around manually in Resident Evil/"tank" style controls (which I found handy at times to use). It can be confusing to figure out puzzle solutions, but there are plenty of guides available online if you get stuck. I don't want to give anything of the story away so I suggest trying the game for yourself! Overall the game is fantastic, but I have a few small criticisms: The game does occasionally have graphical bugs, but I did not encounter any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.  Most of them were actually very comical to encounter, such as Mannys head disappearing or affixing a lever to Glottis...

Dead Space (Xbox 360) Review

  Dead Space is a survival horror game set in - you guessed it - space! Specifically, the USG Ishimura. You'll follow protagonist Isaac Clarke as what started as a an attempt to fix up a spacecraft turns into an wonderful example of "everything that can go wrong definitely will". The story takes several twists and turns and you'll even get to venture beyond the game's central location a few times! As usual, I won't go too deep into the story because I'd like you to be able to experience it for yourself if you've never played the game! I quite it enjoyed it though, and the game created a good sense of isolated fear while also making me concerned for the safety of Isaac's few surviving crew-mates throughout the game. The combat is very intense as most of the creatures you'll encounter move in a very violent and erratic manners, and you'll want to target their weak points - usually the limbs. Thankfully, the game has a cool upgra...

Blood: One Unit Whole Blood (PC) Game Review

Blood is a first-person-shooter from what I like to call the "pixel era" of FPS games from the 90s. Outside of the DOS games I played as a small child, I didn't get really into PC games until college, and that was around 2005, so I missed out on a lot of 90s PC titles such as Blood. My frame of reference for pixel era 90s shooters is of course Doom, as I was able to get a hold of the Playstation port of the game as a teen in High School and had a blast playing it. One of the things that immediately impressed me with Blood was it's improvements over the feel of Doom. Using an engine refereed to as "build"  it featured the ability to look up and down, the ability to jump, and destructible walls in certain areas. Design-wise it also made much more use of ambient sound than Doom, and the levels are detailed and varied enough that it was very rare to get lost unlike Doom which suffered at times from samey environments that the player could easily be...