Skip to main content

Naisancee (PC) Game Review

 image

(This game has almost no story to spoil, but I will discuss the final section of the  game briefly, so consider that a mild gameplay spoiler warning for you)


Naisancee is a surreal/abstract exploration game where you play as a girl named Lucy, who is lost. I'll let you know ahead of time there is nothing else to spoil narrative-wise, as the game has no story beyond that and consists mainly of wandering through a dreamworld and enjoying the sights and sounds around you. This is not to say it is devoid of any gameplay, as it does also contain challenges such as the occasional puzzle and platforming section. But the simple act of exploration was easily my favorite thing about the game. Almost every environment is a fascinating experience. some environments are fairly abstract, while others mimic those of our own world, but are still strange and empty enough to be disquieting (not unlike the "liminal spaces" images I enjoy following here on tumblr). Some areas are massive and seem to stretch on for miles, while others are small and claustrophobic.  The game's unusual musical score and ambience definitely added to the very weird feel of its world. It's one of the more artistically impressive uses I've ever seen of the Unreal Engine.

image

Unfortunately, all this praise about the atmosphere unfortunately comes with a warning - the aforementioned sections of game-play can sometimes be very unpleasant. First person platforming is often awkward in *any* game, but in this title it is sometimes made even worse by areas that are overly dark, overly bright, or in one instance, containing an eye-straining strobe-light effect that makes it very disorienting and probably unsafe for epileptic users.

End-of-game spoilers ahead: The finale was unfortunately so unenjoyable for me that I never finished it, especially after finding out there was no story-line conclusion to reward me for my troubles. It involves a lot of very fast-placed tricky platforming and harsh lighting that made it hard to see what I was doing at times, and I eventually got the point where I couldn't even figure out what I was doing wrong anymore as I died over and over.
(final spoiler section ends here)

Despite those flaws, I still DO recommend this title because it's nice to see something that is clearly an artistic passion project and is trying something new,  even if the game-play gets a little fucky sometimes. I played all the way up to the end just to explore as much as possible and was glad that I did. Another plus for the game is that it's free! It is hosted by steam, but it's also DRM-free if you launch it from the UDK executable.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grim Fandango Remastered (PC) Review

Grim Fandango is a wonderfully charming point and click adventure game with a unique style. It's based on Mexican/Central American mythology as well as the film nior genre. There are many fun characters to meet and lots of great comedy. They give you multiple options for control - you can either use the classic point and click controls, or you can move Manny around manually in Resident Evil/"tank" style controls (which I found handy at times to use). It can be confusing to figure out puzzle solutions, but there are plenty of guides available online if you get stuck. I don't want to give anything of the story away so I suggest trying the game for yourself! Overall the game is fantastic, but I have a few small criticisms: The game does occasionally have graphical bugs, but I did not encounter any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.  Most of them were actually very comical to encounter, such as Mannys head disappearing or affixing a lever to Glottis...

Dead Space (Xbox 360) Review

  Dead Space is a survival horror game set in - you guessed it - space! Specifically, the USG Ishimura. You'll follow protagonist Isaac Clarke as what started as a an attempt to fix up a spacecraft turns into an wonderful example of "everything that can go wrong definitely will". The story takes several twists and turns and you'll even get to venture beyond the game's central location a few times! As usual, I won't go too deep into the story because I'd like you to be able to experience it for yourself if you've never played the game! I quite it enjoyed it though, and the game created a good sense of isolated fear while also making me concerned for the safety of Isaac's few surviving crew-mates throughout the game. The combat is very intense as most of the creatures you'll encounter move in a very violent and erratic manners, and you'll want to target their weak points - usually the limbs. Thankfully, the game has a cool upgra...

Blood: One Unit Whole Blood (PC) Game Review

Blood is a first-person-shooter from what I like to call the "pixel era" of FPS games from the 90s. Outside of the DOS games I played as a small child, I didn't get really into PC games until college, and that was around 2005, so I missed out on a lot of 90s PC titles such as Blood. My frame of reference for pixel era 90s shooters is of course Doom, as I was able to get a hold of the Playstation port of the game as a teen in High School and had a blast playing it. One of the things that immediately impressed me with Blood was it's improvements over the feel of Doom. Using an engine refereed to as "build"  it featured the ability to look up and down, the ability to jump, and destructible walls in certain areas. Design-wise it also made much more use of ambient sound than Doom, and the levels are detailed and varied enough that it was very rare to get lost unlike Doom which suffered at times from samey environments that the player could easily be...