Skip to main content

Killing Floor (PC) Review


 

Do you like violence, charming British accents, and jolly gingerbread men? Then try Killing Floor, a super fun co-op action horror game where angry naked people (and sometimes cookies) beat you up while you shoot at and hit them with stuff! :D

image


2023 Update: Now we’re getting into my REALLY early steam reviews, from all the way back in 2013. I am still proud of the silliness of this one, but it could definitely use some more detail.

image

I mostly play KF2 nowadays as opposed to this one, but it definitely has some advantages over its sequel. No lootboxes or micro-transactions, just pure fun monster blasting mayhem. The DLC was much more reasonably priced. The quality of the animation and gore effects in KF2 has spoiled me to where, the combat in KF1 feels kind of stiff by comparison now, but I do still love the dark humor, art direction, weapon animations and sound design. There’s still a few tracks of that (thankfully instrumental) shitty christian metal, but fortunately, almost the entire soundtrack consists of pure zYnthetic goodness.  The game also has a plethora of wonderful mods for it, and unlike KF2, it was designed to SUPPORT mods - the game actually has a built-in “mutator” menu where you enable and disable any of the mods you have installed. Really handy!

image

Sadly, this one was also developed by tripwire interactive, whom I can’t condone giving money to due their egregious behavior over the years. It was never released for consoles, unfortunately, so the best bet for getting it (without giving money to a shit company)  is to see if it pops up in Humble Bundle Charity Bundle, which seem to be appearing every couple years lately. You can set all the fund to go to a charity, help out folks in need, and get yourself access to a really fun game as well!

imageimageimageimage

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grim Fandango Remastered (PC) Review

Grim Fandango is a wonderfully charming point and click adventure game with a unique style. It's based on Mexican/Central American mythology as well as the film nior genre. There are many fun characters to meet and lots of great comedy. They give you multiple options for control - you can either use the classic point and click controls, or you can move Manny around manually in Resident Evil/"tank" style controls (which I found handy at times to use). It can be confusing to figure out puzzle solutions, but there are plenty of guides available online if you get stuck. I don't want to give anything of the story away so I suggest trying the game for yourself! Overall the game is fantastic, but I have a few small criticisms: The game does occasionally have graphical bugs, but I did not encounter any that hindered my enjoyment of the game.  Most of them were actually very comical to encounter, such as Mannys head disappearing or affixing a lever to Glottis...

Dead Space (Xbox 360) Review

  Dead Space is a survival horror game set in - you guessed it - space! Specifically, the USG Ishimura. You'll follow protagonist Isaac Clarke as what started as a an attempt to fix up a spacecraft turns into an wonderful example of "everything that can go wrong definitely will". The story takes several twists and turns and you'll even get to venture beyond the game's central location a few times! As usual, I won't go too deep into the story because I'd like you to be able to experience it for yourself if you've never played the game! I quite it enjoyed it though, and the game created a good sense of isolated fear while also making me concerned for the safety of Isaac's few surviving crew-mates throughout the game. The combat is very intense as most of the creatures you'll encounter move in a very violent and erratic manners, and you'll want to target their weak points - usually the limbs. Thankfully, the game has a cool upgra...

Blood: One Unit Whole Blood (PC) Game Review

Blood is a first-person-shooter from what I like to call the "pixel era" of FPS games from the 90s. Outside of the DOS games I played as a small child, I didn't get really into PC games until college, and that was around 2005, so I missed out on a lot of 90s PC titles such as Blood. My frame of reference for pixel era 90s shooters is of course Doom, as I was able to get a hold of the Playstation port of the game as a teen in High School and had a blast playing it. One of the things that immediately impressed me with Blood was it's improvements over the feel of Doom. Using an engine refereed to as "build"  it featured the ability to look up and down, the ability to jump, and destructible walls in certain areas. Design-wise it also made much more use of ambient sound than Doom, and the levels are detailed and varied enough that it was very rare to get lost unlike Doom which suffered at times from samey environments that the player could easily be...